SPEAK UP Initiative - What is the Speak Up™ Initiative?
In March 2002, The Joint Commission, together with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, launched a national campaign to urge patients to take a role in preventing health care errors by becoming active, involved and informed participants on the health care team.
Speak Up™ encourages the public to:
- Speak up if you have questions or concerns. If you still don't understand, ask again. It's your body and you have a right to know.
- Pay attention to the care you get. Always make sure you're getting the right treatments and medicines by the right health care professionals. Don't assume anything.
- Educate yourself about your illness. Learn about the medical tests you get, and your treatment plan.
- Ask a trusted family member or friend to be your advocate (advisor or supporter).
- Know what medicines you take and why you take them. Medicine errors are the most common health care mistakes.
- Use a hospital, clinic, surgery center, or other type of health care organization that has been carefully checked out. For example, The Joint Commission visits hospitals to see if they are meeting The Joint Commission's quality standards.
- Participate in all decisions about your treatment. You are the center of the health care team.
Everyone plays an important role in making healthcare safer. That includes doctors, healthcare executives, nurses and many healthcare technicians and YOU!
Healthcare organizations all across the country are working to make healthcare safe. AHMC is one of them! As a patient, you can make your care safer by being an active, involved and informed member of your healthcare team.
To find out more, download the brochures by clicking on the links below.
Help Prevent Errors in Your Care [ PDF ]
Help Avoid Mistakes With Your Medicines [ PDF ]
Five Things You Can Do to Prevent Infection [ PDF ]
What You Should Know About Pain Management [ PDF ]
Prevent Medical Test Mistakes [ PDF ]
fHelp Avoid Mistakes in Your Surgery [ PDF ]
Planning Your Follow-up Care [ PDF ]
Understanding Your Doctors and Other Caregivers [ PDF ]
Know Your Rights [ PDF ]
Information for Living Organ Donors [ PDF ]
What You Should Know about Research Studies [ PDF ]
Ayude a prevenir errores en el cuidado recibido [ PDF ]
Cómo evitar errores con sus medicamentos [ PDF ]
Cinco cosas que puede hacer para prevenir las infecciones [ PDF ]
Todo lo que necesita saber sobre el tratamiento del dolor [ PDF ]
Ayude a evitar los errores en las pruebas médicas y de laboratorio [ PDF ]
Ayude Evitar Errores en Su Cirugía [ PDF ]
Planificación de la recuperaciÓn [ PDF ]
Cómo comprender a los médicos y a los demás profesionales de salud [ PDF ]
Conozca Sus Derechos [ PDF ]
Información acercade la donación de órganos en vida [ PDF ]
Lo que debe saber acerca de una investigación [ PDF ]
Brought to you by:
|100 S. Raymond Avenue, Alhambra, CA 91801, (626) 570-1606|